The Cosmelan Peel Conquers Melasma! A topical in-office cream peeling agent is applied to your skin and left on for the day. You will peel, similar to a peel after a sun burn. At home products further reduce the pigment levels and help suppress the development of new pigment. The Cosmelan Mask works by blocking the process that causes hyperpigmentation. It works for Melasma, Brown spots, blotchy skin, hyperpigmentation, Post inflammatory hyperpigmentation, prevention of hyperpigmentation post-laser and post-peel.
Melasma is the toughest-to-treat pigmentation disorder. Melasma is the medical term for what is often called a pregnancy mask, but Melasma can affect anyone, male or female. Because Melasma is primarily a result of hormonal changes or heredity, the “treat and control” methods are the only options. Effective treatments will help lessen the visibility of this brownish pigmentation and certain topical products will help lessen the amount of pigment the skin produces.
Since Melasma, like any pigmentation problem, is made worse from heat, the Cosmelan Peel treats the problem as a low-heat or non-heat procedure. This treatment provides the best outcome with the least potential side effects.
A topical in-office cream peeling agent is applied to your skin and left on for the day (possibly overnight depending on the time of application and the severity of your Melasma). You will peel, similar to a peel after a sun burn. At home products further reduce the pigment levels and help suppress the development of new pigment.
About Cosmelan Peel:
Skin discoloration and hyperpigmentation or “brown spots” on the face are caused by a number of factors including genetics, pregnancy, sun exposure and acne trauma. The Cosmelan mask is a medical grade peel that dramatically lightens existing spots and improves skin texture while penetrating the skin’s deeper layers to inhibit future discolorization from surfacing.
The Cosmelan 1 mask is applied in the med spa and left on for an amount of time determined by our practitioner, usually 8-10 hours.
The Cosmelan 2 cream is applied at home, followed by Hydravital Factor K Cream and Total Moisturizing Sunblock.
Following this protocol will reduce up to 95% of pigmentation on the skin’s surface within 30 days of the initial treatment, and continued improvements will be seen with the use of the Cosmelan 2 Cream.
The Cosmelan Mask works by blocking the process that causes hyperpigmentation. It works for Melasma, Brown spots, blotchy skin, hyperpigmentation, Post inflammatory hyperpigmentation, prevention of hyperpigmentation post-laser and post-peel.
Self Help Tips for Melasma Patients
- Sun protection is #1. The most effective self-help for Melasma is the consistent use of sun protection. Although sunscreen or blocks will not prevent Melasma, sun protection will help prevent it from becoming darker. Even short exposures to the sun can cause significant darkening…even that short walk to the mailbox every day.
- Sunscreens will chemically absorb UV rays while sun blocks will reflect them. If you have sensitive skin, sun blocks may be your preferred protection. New formulas contain micronized zinc or titanium dioxide which do not produce the white cast of older sun blocks.
- Avoid overly hot environments when possible. If going to the beach or pool use a hat and stay under an umbrella. A water mister will help keep skin temperatures lower.
- Love your sauna or hot tub? Get ready to see Melasma worsen or re-emerge. When your body temps rise, your melanin cells turn on!
- Gym workouts can raise body temperatures and make Melasma worse too.
- Avoid aggressive exfoliator scrubs or strong acid-containing products as both can create inflammation and worsen pigmentation.
- Some birth control pills or methods such as Mirena may cause Melasma. If you suspect this is the case, consult your doctor.