What is Laser Skin Resurfacing
Are you feeling less than confident in your own skin? Do you have years of sun damage and troubled teen acne scars, as well as newly acquired wrinkles that make it difficult to feel comfortable about your appearance? The fine lines, uneven skin texture, age spots and skin imperfections don’t have to define you, and they don’t have to stick around, either. If this sounds like your current situation, you may be a great candidate for a laser skin resurfacing procedure.
Laser skin rejuvenation is one of the most effective ways to bring back your youthful glow and say goodbye to uneven pigmentation and damaged skin. Below, we’ve highlighted what exactly this laser procedure entails, followed by the reasons you might consider laser skin resurfacing, its benefits, and how to prepare yourself for treatment.
What is laser skin resurfacing?
The American Board of Cosmetic Surgery defines laser skin resurfacing as a type of treatment that uses laser technology to reduce imperfections in the skin. Your provider uses the laser to send concentrated beams of light along your skin, targeting the irregularities. In most cases, the laser removes the epidermis, which is the outermost layer of the skin, to stimulate heat of the dermis (the underlying skin) which stimulates collagen production. As the laser penetrates the skin and heals over time, the new skin grows more smoothly and firmly, ultimately creating your new and improved complexion.
Depending on the condition of your skin, your provider may recommend deeper ablative treatment over non-ablative treatment. Essentially, the ablative treatment removes some of the outer layers of skin, while non-ablative passes through the skin without removing layers. For ablative procedures, your provider may recommend local anesthesia for comfort. Non-ablative treatment generally only requires topical numbing cream to combat the sensation.
Reasons to consider laser skin resurfacing
If you’re thinking about undergoing laser skin resurfacing treatment, it’s important to understand who makes the right candidate for the procedure. Some of the reasons you may be in the market for a laser treatment, according to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, include:
- Fine lines and wrinkles on the face, particularly near your eyes, mouth and the forehead
- Deep acne scars
- Scars from chickenpox
- Sun-damaged skin
- Naturally aged skin
- Non-responsive skin after having a facelift treatment
- Liver spots in your complexion
- Yellow or gray skin tone
- Warts and wart scars
- Large birthmarks
- Large oil glands in the complexion, likely on the nose
It’s important to note that skin laser resurfacing isn’t for everyone. If you have any active acne, harsh wrinkles or excessive sagging skin, you may not be the right candidate for laser skin resurfacing.
If one of these skin conditions keeps you from feeling your best, but you’re not sure if you make a candidate for treatment, a consultation with a provider can help you decide if laser resurfacing treatment is for you.
The benefits of laser skin treatment
Skin resurfacing comes with many advantages, but the overarching benefits include:
Improved skin – Laser skin treatment isn’t going to cover up those unwanted blemishes, wrinkles and imperfections — it’s going to remove them for good. A new layer of skin emerges for a fresh start, providing amazing results in the form of a glowing, youthful appearance.
It’s a quick and easy procedure – As with any non-invasive treatment, you don’t have to worry about going under the knife and having to schedule a long period of time in an inpatient facility to heal. Your treatment will likely last under an hour, so you can pick up, leave and go about your day once the process is complete.
How to prepare for laser skin resurfacing treatment
Preparing for laser skin resurfacing treatment starts with meeting with a certified provider. Once they determine that you make a good candidate, you can schedule your appointment and begin the preparation process. Here are a few things we recommend doing before your treatment:
- Cut out unhealthy habits. If you’re a smoker, it’s in your best interest to stop for two weeks before and after the procedure. Smoking can inhibit your skin’s ability to heal in an efficient time frame.
- Stop taking medications and supplements prior to your treatment. Before skin resurfacing, your provider will recommend that you stop taking aspirin, ibuprofen, vitamin E or other medications and vitamins that could impact blood clotting, at least 10 days before your treatment.
- Take your recommended prescriptions. Your provider may prescribe an antibiotic to take before your treatment as a bacterial infection preventative.
- Avoid tanning and too much sun exposure. Heavy exposure to the sun can impact how the lasers work on your skin. Stop tanning and stay out of the sun for long periods of time for about a month before your treatment.
- Don’t get other facial treatments (unless advised by your provider). Strong chemical peels, dermabrasion and other deep facial procedures can also impact your skin resurfacing treatment. Avoid these additional treatments for about a month before your appointment.
- Make your provider aware of your medical history. If you have a history of oral cold sores or shingles near the targeted treatment areas, you need to let your provider know ahead of the treatment.
Skin rejuvenation at Cosmeticare
At Cosmeticare, we have a variety of skin rejuvenation treatments to choose from, including IPL, Erbium and CO2 Laser Resurfacing. All are used to improve the appearance and texture of the skin, reduce acne scars, improve skin pigmentation and enhance the overall look and feel of your skin.
IPL, or Intense Pulsed Light, is a non-invasive skin care treatment to improve the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, repair sun damage, and fade freckles and lesions. This treatment uses light pulses to target and break up dark pigmentation in the skin, leaving the lighter tones of your skin untouched.
Erbium is a skin resurfacing treatment designed to remove moderate to deep wrinkles, providing a more even skin pigmentation and tone. The Erbium laser emits wavelengths of light absorbed by the skin to fully repair and rejuvenate the skin of the face.
Lastly, our CO2 Laser Resurfacing treatment removes the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles and sun damage, and also removes layers of skin cells instead of just the damaged ones. This type of treatment has a dramatic impact on the scars and other skin irregularities in your complexion and can help you achieve a more flawless, even skin tone and texture.
Any of these skin rejuvenation laser treatments can help you look and feel more confident than ever in your own skin. Which skin resurfacing option will you choose? Contact us today to schedule your consultation.