Looking Fit with a Tummy Tuck
Every day at our Orange County cosmetic surgery clinic, patients come in who are doing all the right exercises and eating all the right things, yet are still unhappy with certain aspects of their body contour. What many of these patients don’t realize is that eating right and staying in shape, although important, may not address the underlying issues that contribute to a protruding tummy. Genetics, significant weight loss, and changes following pregnancy may all necessitate surgical intervention with a tummy tuck.
What a Tummy Tuck Does
A target tucks, or abdominoplasty, is a procedure that removes not only extra fat from the abdominal area, but also excess skin and tissue. Additionally, the underlying muscles of the abdominal wall are tightened, giving your stomach a new, taut support system. The result is a dramatic effect on your entire body, and oftentimes on your mental outlook as well. For us, seeing this attitude shift is one of the most rewarding parts of being plastic surgeons.
Our Orange County tummy tuck typically choose the procedure for these reasons:
- Those who have recently undergone massive weight loss. During significant weight loss, the body sheds fat cells faster than the skin is able to keep up with. This discrepancy, combined with the loss of elasticity as our skin ages, can lead to unsightly hanging folds when a lot of weight is lost. It’s so frustrating reaching your target weight and still being unhappy with how you look. Lipoabdominoplasty is the perfect procedure to trim up your abdominal region.
- Women whose abdominal muscles have stretched following pregnancy. Pregnancy stretches the abdominal walls, making room for your baby to grow strong and healthy. As women who have undergone pregnancy age, those already-stretched muscles can become even more lax, and the stomach sags outward. A tummy tuck will tighten those muscles back up, restoring your tummy to its former pre-child flatness.
- Men or women who have dieted and exercised but still are unable to tighten their bellies. If you’ve dieted and exercised like crazy and you still have a paunch, it’s likely that genetics or aging muscles are to blame.
Different Types of Tucks
We recommend one of three basic procedures, depending on your appearance goals and your surgeon’s professional opinion on which technique will meet those goals.
- A partial, or “mini” tummy tuck, just addresses loose abdominal skin, and uses a very small incision. This is ideal when patients already have firm muscles and little excess abdominal fat.
- A standard tummy tuck removes larger amounts of skin and tissue, and requires a larger incision.
- An extended tummy tuck is performed for larger patients who require greater skin and fat removal, and also means a larger incision.
- In some cases, a circumferential abdominoplasty technique may be required. This is reserved for patients who have lost large amounts of weight rapidly, either on their own or as a result of gastric bypass.
Your surgeon may also combine abdominoplasty with liposuction or additional procedures to help further contour your waist area.
At CosmetiCare, we understand that achieving your ideal look can also help you lead a happier life. Our goals are to help you look and feel your best, and, at our practice in Orange County, a tummy tuck can do just that.
Request a consultation to find out more about tummy tucks. Cosmetic surgery in Orange County has never been easier with CosmetiCare’s convenient location in Newport Beach. Call 949-386-2773 today.